Sunday, May 11, 2014

On This Mothers' Day

We celebrated Mothers' Day in worship today.  And then enjoyed a pleasant lunch together. Our family - Annette, my mom, and me (Jaimee is in Nashville), along with Lindsey, her husband Bryan, Bryan's parents, and his mom's parents.  Generations.  All together.  Two families now one, celebrating a rich heritage.

No doubt, the moms who were gathered around that table are worthy of honor.  The love of their children - those present and those absent today - is evident.  These women have served well, passing along a heritage of faith and family tradition that will impact generations to come.

Reflecting on the day, this thought comes to mind:  In an age when relationships are broken for so many reasons and in the face of so many challenges, we enjoyed lunch today with families that have persevered… choosing to stay together for the long haul.  One man and one woman joined together in covenant relationship, holding fast to commitments made - no matter what.

For the wives / moms around the table, celebration is in order.  I watched my mom hang in there for decades, praying for her husband to come to Christ.  He did!  I am a product of her pointing me to Jesus, and I recognize her as the single greatest influence in my life other than Him.

I know my Annette has put up with a lot of nonsense from me.  She is best friend, mom, homemaker, and partner in ministry.  Through it all, she has been a mentor to our children, exemplifying Godliness, enduring love, selflessness, submission, patience, grace, a servant's heart… a list that could go on and on and on.  She, too, by the way, is a product of parents who have stayed together for the long haul, providing yet another example for us of steadfast love.  Our heritage is rich, and is to be cherished.

So in August, we - Annette and I - will celebrate 30 years of marriage.  Our celebration is one of the adventures we will chronicle in the days to come.  We are celebrating together.  My mom - going with us.  Because I value the example she has been for us.  Our kids - going with us.  Because this heritage of hanging in there no matter what is something we want to pass on.

Yes, in an age when relationships are broken for so many reasons and in the face of so many challenges… we choose the road less traveled.

Lord, help us to stay the course, traveling this road together forever, hand in hand, family to family… In Jesus name… Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment