Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Chef-D'oeuvre

I had one of those unexpected blessing today. It's a different sort of day. The wedding - a glorious experience, for sure - is over. Jaimee and Travis are on their honeymoon, and we pray they are having the time of their lives. Annette left me today to return home. Lindsey and Bryan, along with all of the rest of our Orlando family, have made their way home, as well. I'm with Annette's family, but things just never feel right if Annette is not by my side. So it's a different kind of day. Saturday. I'll see her Saturday in Phoenix as she joins me for the motorcycle adventure to come and all will be well

I was supposed to be fishing. The weather didn't cooperate, so I've been sorting through wedding pictures, getting images ready to share with family and friends, doing laundry and repacking for the bike trip... lots of little things. Late in the afternoon, I used Annette's parents' car to run a couple of errands. The music was off - and that just won't do. So I turned the audio system on, ready to look for the local country station. Before I could push the "radio" button, my attention was captured by a song playing on a CD I had not heard in a long time. I listened.

Immediately I was encouraged by a song about the faithfulness of God. Reflecting on all He has done for us - especially in recent days - I gave thanks. A few moments later this chorus captured my attention:

You’re better than a Beethoven symphony
And Mona Lisa wishes she could be a masterpiece like you
More than any Michelangelo
When I look at you I know
There’s no other masterpiece like you
You are the only one and only you


The second verse and bridge go on to say

There is music in your laughter the world has never heard before
You came and brought a melody
The way you say it the way you see it
When you’re sad and glad and so much more
All these gifts only you can bring
Still I know that right now everything that you feel says it’s just not true
So I’ll keep reminding you that


You’re better than a Beethoven symphony
And Mona Lisa wishes she could be a masterpiece like you
More than any Michelangelo
When I look at you I know
There’s no other masterpiece like you
You are the only one and only you


Wonderfully, carefully woven together by God’s own hand
And you’re better than a Beethoven symphony
And Mona Lisa wishes she could be a masterpiece like you
More than any Michelangelo
When I look at you I know there’s no other masterpiece like you
You are the only one and only you


The Only One and Only You | Words and music by Steven Curtis Chapman

My heart was turned again to the newlyweds... the wonderful time of celebration we enjoyed this past weekend... and the marvelous work of art Jaimee and Travis are. Before they were together, they reflected the handiwork of their Creator individually. I believe when God brought them together, they became a chef-d'oeuvre - an exercise of The Artist crafting two of His choice creations into one of His leading works.

I love that Travis and Jaimee are confident in who they are. Indeed, their wedding weekend signaled the reality that they are not bound by convention. Instead, they live life with a flair for the unique... loving simplicity... identifying what really matters... all the while marking everything they do with creativity and expression. Early in the planning process, I heard a statement something like this: "If we don't understand the purpose behind the practice, we're not doing it." Application: no throwing of the bouquet, no garter thing, no wedding cake (because we have a better idea for dessert), no tradition for the sake of tradition. I love this!


With regard to the weekend, here are some glimpses of things we experienced... examples of the unique mark Jaimee and Travis put on their covenant-making rite:
  • The location: not her home (Orlando, sort of), or his home (Mobile), our their home (Nashville), but a destination wedding - in New Orleans. Not in a church (though both are committed to The Church being the expression of God's Kingdom on earth), but in a quaint little courtyard in the French Quarter called Maison Montegut.
  • The attendants: Well... look at the pics when you get a chance and figure it out. Siblings. Family. Only family.

  • The "reception": An elegant dinner absent music and the traditional dances and things. Just meaningful conversation around tables with family.

Early in the afternoon, having arrived at the wedding venue to take pictures, Jaimee, looking out over the courtyard where the covenant would be sealed, said quietly, "Everything is exactly how I wanted it." Mission accomplished. Their day. Their way. And as long as God was honored... nothing else mattered to Annette and me. Nothing at all. The day was... well... a masterpiece.


The Apostle Paul penned these words that I hope will always be held dear by our daughters and sons-in law: Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you]. - Romans 12:2, from The Amplified Bible

Oh that we all would be willing to defy convention and culture... to look beyond the trappings of tradition and the expectation of everyone around us... May we learn to discern the voice of the very One who fashioned us enough to hear Him say, "there's no other masterpiece like you... you are the one and only you."



Allow Ephesians 2:10 to remind you every day that [you] are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for [you] to do. You are indeed a chef-d'oeuvre... a "leading work" of the Master Himself. Live accordingly, and in so doing, encourage others to do the same. Perhaps, if we do, the Artist himself will gaze through a windowpane of heaven, looking at our lives, and say, "everything is exactly how I wanted it."

__________________________

Here's a little wedding bonus... In keeping with New Orleans tradition, Jaimee and Travis chose a second-line parade for our journey from the ceremony to the reception. Second line is a tradition in brass band parades in New Orleans. The "main line" is the main section of the parade - in this case, the bride and groom. Those who follow the parade are called the "second line". The second line's stye of traditional dance, in which participants walk and sometimes twirl a parasol or handkerchief in the air, is called "second lining." It has been called. "the quintessential New Orleans art form." Enjoy some video of our own little second line celebration.



2 comments:

  1. Just lovely - and a perfect representation of your wonderful, beautiful girl. I'm so happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete