Saturday, May 30, 2015

Day 3 - The Coronado Trail Scenic Byway

SOUTHWEST ADVENTURE - Day 3
Starting Point: Iraan, TX
Destination: Show Low, AZ
Day 3 mileage: 696.9
Cumulative mileage (GPS): 2433.9
Cumulative mileage (Odometer): 2476.5

After Day 3, I posted the following: Once again, it's late. We rode 696.9 miles today. We're tired. So this update will be brief - and I'm going to bed. I'll fill in the blanks now and provide more detail.

More from the original ride update: Here's what we have ridden so far, as recorded by our Spot Gen3 satellite tracker. This device is pretty cool - but it does not record detail - as in the curves we might ride.









Garmin's BaseCamp - the software used for planning these motorcycle adventures, on the other hand, provides an accurate representation of what we will encounter - and what we rode today. Suffice it to say the Coronado Trail Scenic Byway is the most challenging road I've ever ridden.

Here is part of a description of the byway from openroadjourney.com:


A favorite of motorcyclists and driving enthusiasts, the Coronado Trail Scenic Byway is an adventure of switchbacks, steep grades, and hairpin turns and is know as one of the best driving roads in the nation. The road is steep and winding, and many sharp curves lack guardrails.

The average daily travel for the heart of the byway is less than 100 cars. There are over 400 switchbacks!

We're worn out - but had great fun and feel a genuine sense of satisfaction in knowing
we survived this one. Now to find a T-shirt that says we did it...

I'm going to bed.


Our day started with an early departure from Iraan, Texas. The rain of the night before had brought with it cold air - and we all started the morning dressed for the chill. I had purchased a heated jacket liner for use at elevation. This was the opportune time to check it out. So I put it on, plugged it in, and experimented with the various temperature settings. That thing works! I was happy with my investment.

While this was all good, I discovered a problem as soon as we left Iraan: the front speakers on my bike were not working. My aftermarket system installed by Soundz Customz while at Bike Week in Daytona would come on for just a split second, then shut down. This had me irritated and distracted as I tried to figure out what was going on. The stock rear speakers worked fine, but I had a no-go on the front speakers (the only ones you can really hear) - and I've been spoiled by the level I can get out of the amp and speakers installed by the guys at Soundz Customz.  Anyway... back to the heated jacket liner....

The bad news is I had never used heated gear (I live in Florida, for goodness sake!) and forgot to unplug before getting off the bike at our first gas stop. This was not a problem, as it unplugs easily. The real problem was in forgetting to plug it back in when we started riding again. Coupled with the fact that I had left enough slack in the power cord that the end of the cord reached to the belt drive pulley, where it was cut up by the friction... where the wires shorted out, causing that fuse as well as the fuse for my horn to blow... Not long after I realized the error of my ways, I was able to pull off the interstate, free the wire from it's position against the pulley, get the wires taped up, and continue on my way. Amazingly enough, the plug still worked once I was able to replace the fuse. Anyway, we pressed on to the west.

Somewhere along the way, we encountered a Border Patrol checkpoint that required vehicles to stop, looking, I suppose, for those who might be transporting illegal immigrants. Officers looked into each vehicle and sent the drivers on their way. We, obviously, were not transporting passengers, so we were waved on through the checkpoint, but not without our trying to recall with certainty that our respective states (Florida and Louisiana) had concealed-carry reciprocity. Of course, we checked before we left - but one tends to get tense at moments like this!

Regarding the audio issue... somewhere in the monotony of the interstate, I was able to call Soundz Customz, who informed me I probably had a blown tweeter. I could, they said, disconnect that speakers one at a time to confirm this - but who has time to pull the fairing on a ride like this? I decided I was going to have to live without my front speakers. Sigh...

So on we went, determined to ride the Coronado Scenic Skyway. It was mid-afternoon before we got there, and I was apprehensive about getting off of those roads before nightfall. We had a pull-up-short destination in the ride plan in the event we were behind schedule, though - so we thought we would be okay.

I've already written about the challenge the Coronado proved to be. We got our money's worth on this one, for sure. Switchbacks, hairpin turns, elevation changes, wildlife in the road - the experience was filled with adventure, for sure! Here is a link to a 12-minute video that offers an idea of what the Coronado Trail Scenic Byway is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yd6th1EUc

At Eager, we stopped for gas and discussed whether we would stop for the night or press on to Show Low. We all agreed we wanted to continue on and get back on schedule. We arrived right at our hotel right at dark - but we arrived safely, thrilled to have experienced such an great day!

Here are some images from the day:










The GoPro does not capture accurately the colors of the sunset as we approached Show Low.


No comments:

Post a Comment