Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Canadian Rockies '18: Day 16

START LOCATION: Whitefish, MT
END LOCATION: Billings, MT
MILES TRAVELED: 493.7
TOTAL MILES TO DATE: 7193.7
WEATHER SUMMARY: Getting warmer

With the end of Day 15, the real fun... the scenic wonders of the great northwest... were in the rearview mirror. The remaining days would be about the long ride home.

Annette and Elizabeth, choosing to stay with us another day, rode one of the return days with us. Leaving Whitefish, Montana, our destination was Billings, Montana. This destination was chosen because of the easy access to a fairly major airport that would facilitate the girls getting home. The weather was favorable for what would be a pretty boring ride if not for the company and camaraderie we enjoy.

I was in Helena recently to play for an event and ate a couple of times at a country diner. I thought it would be fun to get off of the interstate, enjoy some national forest riding, and grab a bite at Shellie's Country Cafe. Thought the route was planned carefully, we experienced challenges finding the diner. Annette and I were nearly sideswiped by a driver making a u-turn, and I was seriously questioning the wisdom of this routing choice. We finally arrived, though, had a decent meal, and had pie that Shellie's is known for.

Continuing on our way, we finally arrived at Hampton Inn in Billings, cleaned up a bit, and enjoyed a great dinner at Jake's a place recommended by my Montana friends.

I don't think I captured any images at all on this day. If I did, I'll post them later.

A good night's sleep was desperately needed, and Annette and I called it a night early. While her flight schedule would allow for a leisurely morning, the boys and I were gearing up for a couple of grueling days as we would continue east and then south on the road less traveled.

Another update soon....


No comments:

Post a Comment