Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Nova Scotia Day 5 - York, PA to Bar Harbor, ME

I'm posting this update as we head out to begin Day 7.  I'm way behind on writing because we've had some really long days. Day 6 was GREAT.  So don't despair as you read the update after our Monday experience. All is well!

DAY 5: Well this has been quite the day. We've known all along that Monday was about getting north... that the plan was seriously aggressive... but success would mean we were ready to begin the real adventures of this year's ride. The plan called for a hard 680+ mile ride from York, Pennsylvania to Bar Harbor, Maine. Reaching our intended destination would require an early departure, favorable traffic through the congested urban areas of the northeast, weather conditions that would allow us to maintain speed, a quick lunch, and a late night.

If that wasn't enough, the plan called for driving right past our hotel and into Acadia National Park to catch a sunset at the summit of Cadillac Mountain. 

We're spent - but we managed to get to Bar Harbor, reach the summit (sort of), and get back down the mountain to Bar Harbor. I'm writing at a table at Denny's because it's the only place left open. We're seated but can't get anyone to take our order. We have an early morning as we begin another aggressive day - and I can't quite say I'm having the absolute best time of my life right now.

Tomorrow will be better - right?

I have to keep telling myself today was not supposed to be as much fun as the previous days or the days to come. But we're here. We're safe. The girls have arrived. And yes, tomorrow will be better.

The not-so-much fun has to do with several things:

  • The trip planner (me) might have planned too much of a challenge - and the journey was a bit much for some.
  • Trying to get everyone connected to our PackTalk Pack as we were hurrying to stay on schedule proved troublesome. We're close - but "close" is never good enough for me. I was frustrated.
  • I am growing increasingly frustrated with issues with my motorcycle. I had a new battery installed at my last service appointment, then parked it while on an Alaskan adventure. The battery tender isn't working. The horn isn't working. I noticed today the after-market amp for my audio system isn't working. I'm concerned that I might continue to lose electrical components- but for now - I'm pressing on.

It's late again. I need rest more as the trip progresses. No time for pictures today. But they'll come. I promise.

Tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment