Friday, June 15, 2018

Canadian Rockies '18: Day 1

START LOCATION: Port Allen, LA
END LOCATION: Moore, OK
MILES TRAVELED: 622.5
TOTAL MILES TO DATE: 1326
WEATHER SUMMARY: Sunny and HOT

What a difference a day makes!

Yesterday, I was as frustrated and discouraged as I've ever been on one of these adventures. Honestly, I was wondering if I would be able to stay the course without getting the cruise control on my bike fixed. The thought of having to head home was real. For non-riders, the thought of having to ride without cruise control might seem a minor inconvenience. In reality the thought of riding another 9,000 miles without any rest for the throttle hand... well... I just didn't want to contemplate that.

Alyshia Sargent, Service Manager at Stormy Hill Harley-Davidson in Clermont, Florida - my home dealership - and Taboo Harley-Davidson in Alexandria, Louisiana came to my rescue. First, Alyshia started helping me via text, late into the night, diagnosing the problem accurately and giving me some real encouragement and hope that we might be able to resolve the problem. And then the folks at Taboo HD went above and beyond the call of duty to get me back on the road.

I left Port Allen at 6:17 AM, heading for Alexandria. The service department at Taboo doesn't open until 8:30, but I wanted to be there early to beat any other riders who might be in crisis. I rolled in right at 8 AM, and the service personnel were all there, hanging out before starting the work day. Just a few minutes after my arrival, the team had me pull the bike into the service area. When I started to explain the problem, the service manager said they had read my email early this morning and were ready to get to work. Wow! By 8:15, the work order was written up and the bike was rolling into a service bay.

Meanwhile, the New Orleans crew rolled in to begin our reunion and wait with me for a diagnosis and repair. Not long after their arrival, I heard the rumble of my bike coming and saw it on the way out for a test ride to confirm the repair was complete. Double wow!! The bike was repaired quickly and under warranty, and we were on our way at 9 AM. That is absolutely amazing service... the kind of service we often just don't get any more. I am more than thankful.

So we headed north and had the type of great time that characterizes these rides. It was so good to be back together. I mean, these guys are like an old pair of shoes that just fit great. The day, in stark contrast to Day 0, was sunny and hot. All of us have air temperature sensors on our bikes, and those sensors indicated we were experiencing temps between 98 and 101 degrees. On asphalt or concrete. With a hard-working, heat-generating power plant just beneath us. Yes, it was HOT!

After numerous gas stops and a pleasant lunch, we reached our destination of Moore, Oklahoma much earlier than I anticipated. We've eaten and need to get a good night of sleep. If all goes well tomorrow, a 723-mile day will land us in Loveland, Colorado. And then the real fun begins.

I won't really start taking pictures until we get to Rocky Mountain National Park on Sunday, but I'll post a few from today below.

What a difference a day makes!


BBQ in Texas just seemed like a good plan for lunch.

We have many stops like this... gas, restroom, and refilled water bottles.

And this is how our days end - parked and ready to go in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment