Monday, June 18, 2018

Canadian Rockies '18: Day 3

START LOCATION: Loveland, CO
END LOCATION: Cody, WY
MILES TRAVELED: 524
TOTAL MILES TO DATE: 2575.1
WEATHER SUMMARY: All over the map

Today was the day to start exploring the scenic treasures we come to far to experience. The day was to start with Trail Ridge Road in the beautiful Rocky Mountain National Park. Soaring to an elevation above 12,000 feet, this 54-mile engineering miracle runs from Estes Park, CO to Grand Lake, CO.

We knew the forecast wasn't favorable, so we left earlier than planned, at 6:30. The day started beautifully - partly sunny and cold for this Florida boy. Temperatures in the low 40s are not the norm in the Deep South, but we came prepared. Thermal underwear under my pants, a heated jacket, and heated grips kept me comfortable right up to the time the rain started.

I quickly took advantage of an opportunity to add rain gear to stay-warm strategy.  We rode in and out of rain for the majority of the day. While cold and wet are never good companions for me, we survived just fine and salvaged a great day.

This is the second time we've tried Trail Ridge Road. In 2014, we ran south due to tornadoes in the region. This year, low-hanging clouds and overcast skies kept us from experiencing the vistas we were looking forward to. Maybe we'll try again down the road. Here are some more images from our time on Trail Ridge Road.






Lunch at Buck's Sports Grill in Rawlins, WY provided a much-needed break from the rain and cold. The burger exceeded my expectations, and Steve was delighted to find fresh-cut fries to accompany our meals. Continuing on our way, we kept our sights set on Cody, WY, though thunderstorms were visible all around. We were blessed, however to stay dry and somewhat warm through much of the afternoon and evening.


In 2014, we found an unexpected run of road that turned out to be one of my favorites of the entire ride. The ride from the east entrance of Yellowstone to Cody through the Shoshone National Forest was beautiful. We're riding that stretch of road twice this year. Yesterday, we came in to Cody from the southeast, and a stretch of road in this same Shoshone region - though not actually part of the national forest, were stunning. This stretch of road changed the entire day's experience from "okay" to "really nice" for me. No "great", but nice. Still images don't due this area justice, as the canyon walls were just to vast and high for my lens to capture. I'll post some video later, and that might offer a better idea of what we experienced.









Perhaps the most significant thing about today had nothing to do with the ride and had more to do with June 17th being Father's Day. I had much time to celebrate the life of my dad, and to remember again just how much I miss him. It was equally difficult to find myself thousands of miles away from Annette and my girls. So I shed some tears. I smiled. I celebrated the faithfulness of God and the promise of eternity.



Arriving in Cody, we checked into the Holiday Inn - a large hotel complex frequented by a LOT of motorcycle riders. And there are TWO washers and dryers for the entire place. TWO. That's all I'll say about that.

We were here in 2014 and enjoyed dinner at the Irma Hotel. I think it was good then. Our experience this year was not a great one, but we were nourished, I suppose.




So... it was a day with some challenges along the way. But it was a good day.

Tomorrow, we have another day of not-so-encouraing forecasts. But it will be another good day. We'll get up, gear up, and get going. We're headed to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

Until next time, keep looking for roads less traveled.

No comments:

Post a Comment